More than anyone, Facebook and its lateral companies have enjoyed the beginning of the New Year in all possible forms. As per the reports, WhatsApp made a new record of 1.4 billion voice and video calls on the New Year’s Eve 2020, which was a straight 50% increase in the calls.
Whilst the pandemic, most of the people stayed back in their respective homes and hence had WhatsApp as their only resort to get in touch with their loved ones.
It is quite notable that the company has recently increased the WhatsApp Group Video call limit from 4 people to 8 people.
Facebook too witnessed 55 million live broadcasts globally on New Year’s Eve.
WhatsApp calls and message stats
In 2019, 20 billion WhatsApp messages were sent globally on New Year’s Eve. Out of these 20 billion messages, 12 billion of them were sent in India alone.
More than 55 million live broadcasts took place on Facebook and Instagram globally.
Facebook also shared that New Year’s Eve 2020 was the biggest day for group video calls on Messenger in the US with a double increase in the volume. The top AR effect on Messenger in the US was “2020 Fireworks.”
Why 1.4 billion calls are talk of the town ?
While 2020 has not been a great year for any industry though, only technology sector has flourished during the COVID – 19 outbreak.
All the technology based companies have seen a record breaking revenue uplift.
The 1.4 billion WhatsApp calls mark is counted as one of the milestones achieved by the company.
I mean it does take a lot to have 1.4 billion WhatsApp calls in one single day globally.
Competition in video calls
WhatsApp has a strong competition from Zoom. That was one of the reasons that WhatsApp floated the feature of Group Video Calls initially and later increased the number of participants.
Initially, video call feature was supposedly for the international calls over Skype and other platforms. But after the launch of WhatsApp, video call became a household feature.
Talking to your loved ones with such an ease was made possible by WhatsApp.
During the pandemic, Zoom picked up the pace in video calls where official meetings used to be done using the same.
Company’s quote on the calls volume
“Before COVID-19, New Year’s Eve generated Facebook’s biggest spikes in messaging, photo uploads, and social sharing at midnight across the world. However, in March 2020, the early days of the pandemic produced traffic spikes that would dwarf New Year’s Eve several times over — and it lasted for months. Behind the scenes, Facebook Engineering came together to drive unprecedented efficiency improvements and make our infrastructure more resilient. This work includes load testing, disaster recovery testing and shuffling capacity. This year, New Year’s Eve looked a lot different, and we had engineering teams across Facebook’s apps, ready to support any issue, so the world could ring in 2021,” Caitlin Banford, technical program manager at Facebook, said in a blog.
”At Facebook, we saw surges in video chatting all year across Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp, and last night was no exception. New Year’s Eve is a historically busy night for our services, but this year set new records.” he added.
The end of 2020 has been great for Mark Zuckerberg. His three companies have raised the revenue bars like never before. The social networking giants, Facebook and Instagram have seen an unexpected raise in the sales volume. And at the same time, WhatsApp broke all the records of the company.
We have compiled a report from the 3 giants for your convenience.
- More than 1.4 billion voice and video calls were made on New Year’s Eve 2020 globally, the most ever calls in a single day on WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp calling increased over 50% compared to the same day last year.
- People celebrated with effects in Messenger, and the top AR effect in the US was “2020 Fireworks.”
- New Year’s Eve 2020 was the biggest day ever for Messenger group video calls (3+ people) in the US, with nearly 2X more group video calls on NYE compared to the average day.
Instagram Live and Facebook Live
- There were more than 55 million live broadcasts across Facebook and Instagram globally on New Year’s Eve.
- PUBG Mobile India, Playable with these simple tricks
- Trump pardons ex-Google engineer Anthony Levandowski
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 870 SoC With a Clock Speed of 3.2GHz Launched
- Chrome 88 is coming with the new Password Protection Feature- Check here all the details
- 5 Tremendous Benefits of Automated Schedule Creation for Your Business
- 3D Slots Guide – How to play 3D Slots
- What We Can Bet On In Technology In 2021