Does your External hard drive is not Showing up? Do you need to copy certain data from it? Do not worry Buddy! Just Scroll down.
Almost everything gets stored on our system(PC/laptop) in the world of digitalization. Right? We often need external memory devices like Pen Drive, external hard drive, optical disks, etc. But when these devices don’t show up with our system, it is disappointing! Removable devices are easy to use and portable. You need not take the entire system if you are travelling. A Hard Drive is enough to hold much data. Today in this article, I am going to share potential fixes of the problem “external Hard Drive is not showing up“. Scroll down to Know more!
The external hard drive is not Showing up: 5 Potential Fixes
Suppose you are going for a meeting and your presentation is in your hard drive. But when you attached a hard drive to the port, It showing up error! Aww, Snap!
This situation is really awful! Starting from the easiest solution to a more techy solution, I am going to discuss each one by one. In brief, the possible reasons could be USB ports not working, issues with power supply, File system issues, partition problems, Driver issues, etc. The following are the problems and their fixes.
1) Restart your system
Sometimes, a simple restart will solve the problem. But here we are taking one more step. Before restarting we would remove all USB devices. Follow the steps below:
- Remove all USB devices.
- Go to start menu, Click restart option.
- Wait until your system starts up again.
- Now connect hard drive again. If it’s still not showing up, try a different port.
Hopefully, this may work for you. if not, proceed to the next method.
2) Update Drivers
The second method is to update the disk driver. We know that the Operating system has a driver for each and every task like a print driver, USB driver, disk driver.
Sometimes, outdated drivers cause this issue. So to check the status of your driver and fix it, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R key together.
- A window will pop up, run.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the run dialogue box and tap OK.
- The device manager window will open.
- Expand the option Disk drivers in it.
- Right-click on an externally connected USB drive.
- Go to properties.
- Click on the Driver tab.
- Click on Update Driver Software
- Follow the instruction and proceed.
3) Change Drive letter
- Right-click on This PC.
- Click Manage -> Disk management
- Right-click on the connected external drive and choose Change Drive Letter and Path
- Click Add, and then assign a new drive letter from the drop-down list and click OK.
4) Fix USB Root Hub
- Press Windows + R key together.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the run dialogue box and click on OK.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers option.
- Right-click on USB Root Hub.
- Click Properties then select the Power Management option.
- Uncheck the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
- Click ok and save changes.
5) Change USB Selective settings
- Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options.
- Scroll down to the option “Choose and customize your power plan”.
- It would be radio boxed on the “balanced(Recommended)” option.
- Click on change plan settings in the form of this option.
- Click on advance power settings
- Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend settings.
- Select Disable and click OK.
- In the picture below, the settings are enabled, Click on the enabled tab and you can easily disable it. the things may vary a little because of different Windows.
Dear Readers. Thanks for reading so far! I hope you would like this comprehensive guide to the problem “External hard drive is not showing up”. Hard drives have become part of life and its mandatory that they should work on time. Try out above given quick fixes and proceed to present! Good luck!
Share your feedback. Mention in comments if you need to know anything else or if you want to share your views.