Buying a larger storage space disk is not easy and thus people find easy solutions or this. Keeping data in a removable hard drive is budget-friendly and solves the problem. But if external hard drive not working properly, it’s of no use. Whenever you plug the drive in USB port within seconds it should she up in the device list, generally. But if it’s not showing up, try out below given potential fixes.
A very simple fix to all the problems is to Simple Restart your device. Unplug all the externally attached devices, and restart your MAC. This might solve the problem sometimes the device doesn’t get attached properly.
Reasons why the External Hard Drive not working
It’s very important to know the reasons before proceeding out for solutions. So, The following are the reasons why External Hard Drive not working with the MAC device.
- Drive not inserted properly.
- The USB port may be damaged or not working.
- Check USB wire, maybe it is damaged somewhere in mid or near the hook.
- Test the hard drive on a PC — it could be formatted for PCs and not readable on Macs.
- Drivers not working.
1) Hardware issues
USB Cable: Check if the USB cable is fine. It may be damaged somewhere or if it is not damaged, use a different wire and check if the Hard Drive is working properly or not.
USB Port: Check if the port is working properly by inserting something else. If it is working properly, remove and attach hard Drive again.
Try to put USB wire in different outlets. If the USB port is not damaged, Still try using a different port.
2) Change Finder Settings
- Open Finder window.
- Go to preferences then General.
- Check External Disks option – enabled or Disabled.
- Try mounting Hard drive manually.
3) Run First Aid on external Hard Drive
Mac’s built-in First Aid tool is intended to support and fix a range of issues such as corrupted files and apps, startup issues, and external hard drive problems.
if you try to open MAC but it’s not allowing access to files, then First Aid will help. Follow the steps below:
- Go to System Preferences
- Move to Disk Utility.
- Move cursor on the external hard drive
- Click on First Aid.
- Select Run to start running diagnosis.
- Prompt MAC to automatically fix any issues.
If First Aid runs successfully, then External hard drive will show up.
4) Delete Conflicting Apps
If you have recently installed any apps, then uninstall it once. One way to do this, to simply put the apps to trash but this may leave some unwanted trash files on your system. A better way to do this is to use the CleanMyMac X tool. CleanMyMac X is an Uninstaller tool that can fix your installed applications and associated files and remove every trace of an undesired app.
- Download CleanMyMac X tool on your system.
- Open the app.
- Click on Uninstaller.
- Tap on View All Applications and select a recently installed app.
- Click Uninstall.
This will delete the apps completely.
5) Change Disk permissions
This is the last and most difficult step to carry out on your MAC device. Ideally, you should not do any changes with Disk permissions but this is the case and we have to do. Disk permissions keep files secure. Every file and folder has an associated set of permissions. This can also be down using the cleanMyMacX tool. Follow the steps below to repair disk permissions:
- Open the tool
- Look at the left sidebar menu
- Check the box next to Repair Disk Permissions.
- Tap Run.
Dear Readers, External hard Drive not working? Try out above shared methods and I hope your Hard drive will successfully work.
I hope you would like the article. If you still have any issues, mention in comments. We would definitely help you out.
Share your feedback. Thank you!
- Samsung on early Galaxy S21 launch – Details Inside
- Instagram blocks #sikh hashtag for users
- PS5 Outperforms Xbox Series X on Certain Games: Why!!!
- Martin Henderson Raves About Girlfriend Aisha Mendez on Instagram
- Playstation 5 Consoles Bought in India Before Official Launch Will Not Have Warranty: Report
- Tesla plans to produce electric car chargers in China
- Soon, you may be able to play Xbox games on smart TV via Xbox app
- Facebook, Google to Face Tougher Competition Rules in UK From New Antitrust Body