Connect with us

Formula One

Formula E driver Daniel Abt got gamer to cheat in esports race for him

Published

on


That is kind of suspicious… (pic: YouTube)

A prominent Formula E driver has been dropped by his team and forced to pay money to charity after he was caught cheating online.

There is no Formula 1 at the moment, or any of its related sports, but like many people drivers have found they can work from home, in this case by playing video games.

German Formula E (for electrically powered cars) driver Daniel Abt was supposed to be playing simulation rFactor 2 but fellow competitor, and former Formula 1 driver, Stoffel Vandoorne became suspicious when Abt turned off his camera.

As Vandoorne suspected, it turned out Abt wasn’t playing the game at all and instead it was a professional gamer named Lorenz Horzing who was doing it for him.

Abt has been disqualified from the competition and told to pay £8,900 to charity. He’s also been suspended by his team at Audi Sport, which according to website The Race will be permanent.

‘I did not take it as seriously as I should have,’ said Abt in a statement.

‘I am especially sorry about this because I know how much work has gone into this project on the part of the Formula E organisation. I am aware that my offence has a bitter aftertaste but it was never meant with any bad intention.’

More: Gaming

Up till now Abt has been a major figure in Formula E, winning two races in the 2018 season and enjoying a lucrative contract with Audi.

‘Integrity, transparency and consistent compliance with applicable rules are top priorities for Audi – this applies to all activities the brand is involved in without exception’, said the company in a statement.

‘For this reason, Audi Sport has decided to suspend Daniel Abt with immediate effect.’

The irony is that Horzing/Abt didn’t even win anyway, coming in third behind Vandoorne and Britain’s Oliver Rowland.

Email gamecentral@metro.co.uk, leave a comment below, and follow us on Twitter.

MORE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 story campaign co-op footage leaks

MORE: Maneater review – shark week forever

MORE: Call Of Duty: WWII free today on PS Plus

Follow Metro Gaming on Twitter and email us at gamecentral@metro.co.uk

For more stories like this, check our Gaming page.

Asia

Formula One Motor Sport Revs up a July Restart – Variety

Published

on

Organizers of Components One motor racing say that they count on Grand Prix racing to start in July. The primary race is more likely to be held in Austria, however spectators might not be allowed to attend the circuit.

The high-profile race sequence was set to have begun its 2020 season in Melbourne on March 15. However as occasions organizers all over the world woke as much as the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic that race was referred to as off and the start of the season delayed.

Since that point, quite a few different Components One races, together with these in Vietnam and China, introduced delays. The sequence organizers have scrambled to reschedule a few of them, and are nonetheless not but capable of announce what number of will go forward at completely different dates.

Earlier than Monday, eight races had been postponed, however just one – the season’s most glamorous and prestigious, in Monaco – had been outright cancelled. Monday’s restart announcement, was accompanied by a separate announcement that the French Grand Prix, at Le Castellet, can be cancelled and won’t be held in 2020.

“We’re focusing on a begin to racing in Europe via July, August and starting of September, with the primary race going down in Austria on 3-5 July weekend. September, October and November, would see us race in Eurasia, Asia and the Americas, ending the season within the Gulf in December with Bahrain earlier than the normal finale in Abu Dhabi, having accomplished between 15-18 races,” mentioned Chase Carey, Components One chief.

“We count on the early races to be with out followers, however hope followers will probably be a part of our occasions as we transfer additional into the schedule. We nonetheless should work out many points just like the procedures for the groups and our different companions to enter and function in every nation.”

The logistics of restarting the season have been difficult not solely by journey restrictions within the host international locations, but in addition by the lockdowns in Europe, the place the virus has killed hundreds. Most race groups are based mostly within the U.Okay., one of many worst hit international locations, whereas Ferrari is predicated in Italy’s Lombardy area, additionally a virus epicenter.

Present plans will see two races in Austria, on July 5 and per week in a while July 12. They are going to be adopted by two within the U.Okay., at Silverstone, on July 19, and July 26. The observe operators have mentioned that Silverstone is not going to enable public admission.

Authorities well being selections and the reemergence of the virus as journey restrictions are eased might but change Components One’s plans once more. Whereas the choice to maintain followers away deprives the person race organizers of ticket income, they and the groups could possibly earn from sponsorship, promoting and the TV rights.

The cancelation of the Melbourne race was chaotic. Groups comprising automobiles, drivers and lots of of mechanics had all flown from Europe to Australia prepared to start. However the choice to cancel was solely introduced to the general public on what ought to have been the primary day of observe – by which era among the drivers had already flown out.

Lewis Hamilton, reigning world champion, and 6 instances winner of the title, stays favourite to win the shortened 2020 season.

Continue Reading

Trending