- Google introduces the Live Caption feature for Chrome.
- The feature was a game-changing addition, as it brought real-time captions from any video playing from any application.
- To use the feature, you will first have to download Google Chrome 89 if you do not have it on your computer.
Google has brought Live Caption to Chrome on the desktop for Windows and Mac (Chrome OS coming soon). Now, when enabled, Chrome users can see real-time live captions as video (or audio) plays in a tab.
The feature becomes useful in places where there is too much noise and you are unable to hear whatever is being said to you.
To use it, assuming you have Live Caption enabled, you’ll simply watch a video. As long as that video has audio, a black pop-up will appear at the bottom of your Chrome tab with the live caption running.
How to enable Google Chrome Live Caption feature?
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your computer, be it Windows, Mac, or even Linux.
- Now, click the three-dot menu icon in the top-right of the window.
- From the options available, select “Settings.”
- In the left sidebar, click on “Advanced” and then select “Accessibility.”
- Now, for the “Live Caption” option, toggle the switch ON.
- Some speech recognition files will be downloaded on your computer.
- Once the required files are downloaded, the Live Caption feature is ready to use.
Now, You can go to any website and play a video and the caption will appear in a black box at the bottom of the screen.
Live Caption feature also available on some smartphones
The feature is already available for select Pixel, OnePlus, and Samsung phones.
The list of phones that support this Live Caption feature is Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4 XL, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 3, Google Pixel 3 XL.
If you are using one of these phones, then you can enable the Live Caption on your mobile phone by visiting the Settings section. Just type Live Caption in the search bar and then toggle Live Caption. This way you will get live captions every time.
Thanks for Reading!!