- Google Photos app users won’t get free unlimited backups starting June 1, 2021.
- There is no direct alternative to Google Photos.
- The company now offers a total of 15GB of free storage for Gmail, Drive, Docs, and Photos.
Google Photos would be ending its free unlimited backups starting June 1st, 2021. The company says that the platform will stop supporting free photos and video backup.
The good news is that anything that’s been uploaded before June 1st won’t count against the new limit – only images and videos uploaded on or after the 1st will start to count towards the 15 GB cap.
Instead of unlimited storage, every account will get 15 GB of free storage with the option to pay for more storage if you need it. You’ll also have the option to choose between their compressed ‘High-quality backup or store your files in original quality if you so desire.
Google Photos: The Pixel smartphone exception
If you have a Pixel 5 or older smartphone, you’ll continue to get free unlimited “high quality” storage, so the new cap won’t apply to you.
- The Google Pixel 2, 3A, Pixel 4, Pixel 4A, and Pixel 5 users can still get unlimited Storage Saver uploads and these will not count against your free 15GB Google storage.
- If you own a Pixel 3, you can still get unlimited free Original Quality photos and videos uploads till January 1 next year, after which you’ll also be switched to unlimited High Quality/Storage Saver mode.
Google One features:
Google One is a membership plan from the company that allows users to get the most out of Google products. By upgrading to a Google One paid plan, users can get additional cloud storage which starts at 100 GB and goes all the way up to 2 TB.
The service comes with a host of interesting features:
- You will get direct access to Google experts that will help you with the company’s products and services.
- Furthermore, one can invite up to 5 additional family members to the Google One plan.
- Family members get their own space to store personal files, emails, and photos.
- One can get 100GB or more using different plans. Apart from this, one can get up to 40 percent off on select hotels, Google Play credits, and more.
Thanks for Reading!!