In a possible effort to cease the videoconferencing powerhouse that’s Zoom, Google has expanded its Meet communications app to be out there to anybody with a Gmail account (beforehand, it had solely been open to these with for-pay G Suite or training accounts). It is possible for you to to fulfill with as much as 100 folks and there may be at present no time restrict; after September 30th, conferences can be restricted to 60 minutes.
You don’t should do something to get the app: it routinely seems in your Gmail app as a small “Meet” part within the left-hand column, proper beneath your checklist of classes. As is Google’s behavior, it’s slowly rolling out the app to Gmail customers over the subsequent few weeks: a colleague with Gmail reported that he bought the app final week, and I discovered it sitting in my Gmail account over the weekend, however a minimum of one colleague reported this morning that she nonetheless hasn’t gotten it in her Gmail account. Nevertheless, if you happen to can’t wait, you possibly can go to meet.google.com to strive it out.
If you happen to do see the “Meet” part in your desktop Gmail, you’ll discover that your new videoconferencing app is definitely very handy and easy to make use of.
Use Meet with Gmail
- To start out a video session, click on on “Begin a gathering” just under the “Meet” subhead. (If you happen to’ve acquired an invite to another person’s Meet session, you possibly can click on on “Be a part of a gathering” and replica within the assembly code that you simply had been emailed.)
- You’ll get a brand new browser window with a preview video window on the left. On the precise, beneath the phrases “Assembly prepared” you’ll discover the hyperlink tackle in your assembly. You’ll be able to copy and ship that to different members. Click on on “Be a part of now” to start out the assembly.
- If you wish to start the assembly with a presentation, click on on “Current” as an alternative of “Be a part of Now.” You’ll be given a selection of which of the open home windows in your laptop to current. (If you wish to do a presentation later, there can be an icon on the backside of our window to allow you to swap.)
- After choosing “Be a part of Now,” a pop-up window provides you with an opportunity to ship an invite to your members. Whenever you’re achieved, exit the window to start out the assembly.
- When any of your company wish to be part of, you’ll obtain a notification; you possibly can choose “Admit” or “Deny entry.”
Google Meet has a really clear and easy-to-understand interface. Whereas it doesn’t have the identical variety of options that apps like Zoom do (for instance, you possibly can’t file a session), there are a number of helpful choices.
- You’ll be able to select one in every of three totally different layouts by which to view the members by clicking the three dots within the nook and choosing “Change structure.” You’ll be able to select between sidebar (the place the speaker is in a big window and the others are in thumbnails); highlight (the place you solely see the speaker), and tiled. Be aware that tiled is just out there in case you have a minimum of three folks in your assembly. And also you received’t be included within the tiles; your individual video picture is minimized within the tiled structure.
- By clicking on “Activate captions” on the backside of the display, you need to use Google’s captioning function to point out what every individual is saying.
- And, in fact, you possibly can mute your audio or flip off your video by utilizing icons on the backside of the display.
There may be additionally a technique to monitor all of the members in your assembly and to speak with them. On the highest proper of your window, you’ll see a button with folks and chat icons on it; click on on that to open a aspect window with two tabs.
- The contacts tab helps you to see the names of all of the attendees; click on on the arrow on the precise of every entry, and a drop-down menu will allow you to pin the individual to your essential window, mute them, or take away them from the assembly.
- The chat tab helps you to chat to everybody or to people who’re in your assembly.
To finish a gathering, both click on on the pink phone icon on the backside of the window or simply take away the tab.
Use Meet with Google Calendar
Gmail isn’t the one place you’ll discover the brand new app — if you schedule a gathering utilizing Google Calendar, you’ll now discover a new button to “Add Google Meet video conferencing.” As you possibly can think about, the method for making a video assembly is easy.
Click on on the button, and also you’ll get a possibility to repeat the net tackle of the assembly. You can too add company out of your Google Contacts checklist or kind of their e-mail addresses.
If you happen to add company, you possibly can then e-mail them invites to the assembly. The emails will solely embrace all of the details about the assembly and permit them to ship a reply (Sure / Perhaps / No) or counsel an alternate time.
Use Meet on cell
As well as, if you happen to use Google’s Calendar app, you’ll now see an “Add video conferencing” choice if you create an occasion. Click on on that, and all you’ll see is “Google Meet: Video conferencing particulars added” — the tackle of your assembly can be included within the last schedule entry.
How safe is Meet?
Google is clearly attempting to keep away from among the safety issues that Zoom suffered again in April, when its comparatively open format meant intruders might discover their manner into conferences. The safeguards that the corporate cites embrace:
- The code for every assembly is totally different and randomized.
- Every new participant must be individually authorised by the host and might be muted or eliminated at any time.
- All customers should have a Gmail account.
- And at last, according to Google, “Meet video conferences are encrypted in transit, and all recordings saved in Google Drive are encrypted in transit and at relaxation.”