Want to know how to format SD Card Windows 10,Mac,Camera,CMD? Then look no further, as you have landed at the appropriate place.
If anything stops functioning well then we have to reboot it, right? Similarly many times our SD cards also stop working properly and start generating errors which usually irk us a lot. Isn’t it?
So what we have to do in that case? We have to perform a quick formatting because it will revive the card and increases its performance as well. It could belong to any device like digital camera, game console, music player ,a PC or Mac.
There are three SD card formatting techniques that will assist you in formatting SD memory card without any hurdles that may include How to format SD card using CMD, third-party SD card formatting tool, and Windows utility in Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP or Vista.
How to Format SD Card Windows 10, Mac, Camera, CMD
To format an SD card on a Windows PC:
- Put the SD card into your computer
- Run File Explorer and locate the drive letter for your SD card.
- Hit Right-click on the drive and choose Format.
- If the space provided by your SD card is less than 64 GB, then go for FAT32 otherwise select exFAT.
- Then click on Start button to begin.
- Select OK to ignore the warning that all of the data on the drive will be erased and begin formatting the card
- Mac computer
- SD card reader
- Open External card reader and Insert your SD card into your computer.
- Go to Disk Utility option. locate your SD card.
- Now hit enter on the “Erase” tab and choose “Format”.
- After doing all this, you will get a confirmation message. Select that and then Click “Erase”
This is how you to format your SD Card on Mac, Isn’t it so easy?
How To Format SD Card Using CMD?
See, if you are completely unaware about the CMD prompt and its commands then it is advised here to select its alternative methods but if you are rigid enough and want to do it via CMD prompt only then you can do so in the following simple steps.
let’s see the step-by-step guide on how to format SD card using CMD in Windows 10 below.
Step 1. Open Command Prompt by simply typing cmd in search bar of Windows then right click on it and select Run as administrator in it.
Step 2. After this, a prompt will pop up, type diskpart into it and hit “Enter”.
Step 3. Now from list disk, you will be shown a list of all available drives, pick any one and press “enter”.
Step 4. Type select disk + disk number ( for example, select disk 2) to select the SD card you want to format and press “Enter”.
Step 5. Input list volume and hit “Enter”.
Step 6. Pick select volume + volume number (or example, select volume 10) and press “Enter”.
Step 7. Type format fs=ntfs (or format fs=exfat) and hit “Enter” to format the drive.
Sometimes you may not be able to format your SD card. If this is also happening with you, then there may be following reasons behind it :
- Memory card is write protected : In this case you will nit be able to change anything in your SD Card. But don’t worry , you can disable it anytime.
- Memory card is severely damaged : In this case, it will reach to an extent where it can’t even mount a file system.
How to Fix if SD Card Can’t Format on Mac or Android
You can use any of the methods mentioned above to fix SD card that are not readable or format error on Android. But don’t forget here that, in the case of Mac, there is no particular way to unlock the SD card or disabling the write protection on Mac. Moreover, the major thing here is to recover the data from the SD before making a fix into it. Here there is a piece of good news for you is the Remo Recover, know what is Remo recover? It is also available on Mac and using it you can successfully recover the data that too in few steps.
even after doing all these, if you are still unable to fix it then the best possible reason could be that your SD card is unfixable. So it is better to not take it further and just follow the company’s policies and claim to exchange the memory card. But, don’t forget here to recover your data from the SD card on Mac before exchanging it.
Final Words :
Well readers, thanks for reading so far. Many users have a broad array of questions regarding “How to Format SD Card Windows 10, Mac, Camera, CMD”. We have intended this post specifically to answer your all questions regarding this. If you are one of those who find it informative then don’t forget to share it maximum so that other can take benefit from it as well after all “Sharing is Caring, Right?”
Leave your views in the comment section for us.