Connect with us

Good Morning Britain

Piers Morgan ‘bans’ ministers from GMB after Dominic Cummings scandal

Published

on


Piers Morgan has banned government ministers from Good Morning Britain (Picture: ITV)

Piers Morgan has ‘banned all cabinet ministers’ from appearing on Good Morning Britain after accusations were raised against Dominic Cummings breaking lockdown rules.

Cummings was accused of flouting restrictions twice to drive 250 miles to visit his parents in Durham.

Several cabinet ministers defended Cummings over the accusations, before the second trip was un-earthed this evening.

Now, taking to Twitter, Morgan insisted that ‘due to today’s developments, I am regretfully forced to ban all cabinet ministers from appearing on Good Morning Britain.

‘Only exceptions will be those who didn’t publicly support Cummings breaching lockdown.’

Cummings is accused of breaking lockdown rules twice (Picture: AFP)

Both of the special advisers’ trips were made before Prime Minister Boris Johnson made the first steps towards easing the lockdown.

Cummings returned to work in Downing Street on April 14 after suffering with coronavirus symptoms, but was then spotted near his parents house in Durham on April 19.

Downing Street insisted he ‘stayed put’ on his parent’s farm on his first visit. But 70-year-old retired chemistry teacher said he saw Cummings and his family walking along the River Tees in Barnard Castle on April 12 – 30 miles from the home.

More: Piers Morgan

Morgan has been a staunch critic of the government’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, and recently slammed a move to ban MPs from appearing on GMB, calling it ‘a slippery slope to a totalitarian state.’

The former journalist even halted the programme last week to watch a BBC Breakfast interview with Therese Coffey.

Good Morning Britain airs weekdays from 6am on ITV.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

MORE: Paul Mescal goes shirtless for run in London sunshine after teasing Normal People series two

MORE: Jacqueline Jossa ‘splits from husband Dan Osborne’ after ‘marriage issues magnified’ during lockdown

Good Morning Britain

Where has Piers Morgan been and when will he return to Good Morning Britain?

Published

on


Piers Morgan is absent from the GMB studio this week (Picture: ITV)

Good Morning Britain has been looking a little different in the last few days, with the absence of Piers Morgan from the studio.

The presenter has kept us all watching in recent months as he and co-host Susanna Reid bring us the latest news on the coronavirus pandemic and the UK’s lockdown – and wastes no time in making his opinions known about everything that’s been going on.

But this week he’s notably missing from the show – so just where has he got to and when will he be back?

Here’s what’s going on…

Where has Piers Morgan been?

There’s no big mystery as to Piers’ absence – he’s simply having a week’s break from Good Morning Britain, to coincide with the half-term break, despite schools not currently being open.

He announced the news on the show last week, admitting that the continuous coverage of the Covid-19 crisis had begun to take its toll on him.

‘Susanna, Hilary and I, we’re actually gonna have a week off,’ Piers told weather reporter Laura Tobin.

Piers and Susanna are regular morning fixtures on our TV (Picture: Rex Shutterstock)

‘What? Have we been allowed out?’ Susanna joked. She later thought he could put it to good use after someone knocked his precious Aston Martin, and added: ‘It’s so you can launch a full investigation over who went into the back of your car.’

‘Also, it’s been a long old haul hasn’t it?’ Piers then admitted. ‘We’re all feeling a bit…[slumped].’

As well as Piers and Susanna Dr Hilary Jones – who has been a daily presence on the show in the wake of the pandemic – is also having a week off.

When is Piers back on Good Morning Britain?

You can expect to see Piers back on the show next Monday.

Good Morning Britain airs weekdays on ITV from 6am.

MORE: Lord Alan Sugar refuses to end Piers Morgan feud after Dominic Cummings controversy

Follow Metro across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Share your views in the comments below.

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

‘Donald Trump taking toxic drug for coronavirus’: warns Dr Hilary Jones

Published

on


Dr Hilary fears Donald Trump is taking a toxic drug (Picture: PA / ITV)

Dr Hilary Jones has warned Donald Trump is taking a ‘toxic’ drug with the hope of preventing coronavirus.

Earlier this week, the President of the United States told press that he was using hydroxychloroquine after hearing ‘a lot of good stories on it’.

However, it turns out the Good Morning Britain regular fears it could be doing more harm than good, as he said it could potentially cause heart failure.

Explaining the effects of the drug, used to treat malaria as well as lupus, the health expert said: ‘It can be very toxic, it’s better than taking bleach, it has been around for a long time, and it could prevent the reduction of the virus.

‘Even from the outset China said it didn’t show any benefit, and it hasn’t shown any benefit in other studies.’

Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live

The GP went on: ‘It can cause heart failure and heart irregularities, it is toxic to the liver, there are no benefits and actually it could be dangerous.

The president confirmed he was taking hydroxychloroquine (Picture: AP)

‘It’s a toxic drug and needs to be used carefully, I know a lot of workers were using it as a preventative, it sounds like [Donald Trump] is three weeks behind on the rumours.

‘There is no proven evidence that it is useful for the prevention or treatment of Covid-19 it could do more harm than good.’

Piers Morgan who was hosting the breakfast show stressed that it can be used to treat some illnesses.

To which Dr Hilary said: ‘It shouldn’t be used outside of the hospital setting in any circumstances.

Dr Hilary warned one of the side effects could be heart failure (Picture: ITV/REX)

‘If it is, it is used in a very careful and controlled way – there are plenty of drugs that could be repurposed [to treat Covid-19], but hydroxychloroquine is not one of them.’

It comes following a press conference, where Donald Trump claimed he was taking the drug.

‘You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the frontline workers before you catch it, the frontline workers, many, many are taking it,’ he stated.

‘I’ve heard a lot of good stories [about hydroxychloroquine] and if it’s not good, I’ll tell you right I’m not going to get hurt by it.’

As it stands, more than 34,000 people have died from Covid-19 with over 240,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK alone.

Good Morning Britain continues weekdays at 6am on ITV.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

MORE: Twilight star Gregory Tyree Boyce found dead aged 30 alongside girlfriend

MORE: SAS: Who Dares Wins viewers praise Tony Bellew after refusing to listen to heartbreaking family message

Continue Reading

Trending