Connect with us

Football

Sergio Aguero’s agent responds to Inter Milan and Real Madrid links

Published

on

Sergio Aguero does not have long left on his Manchester City contract (Picture: Getty Images)

Sergio Aguero will definitely not be leaving Manchester City this summer, but could well depart when his contract runs out next year, according to the striker’s agent.

The Argentina international’s current deal expires in the summer of 2021, which will see him mark 10 years as a Manchester City player.

The 31-year-old has had a sensational time in the Premier League, scoring 180 goals in 261 games and netting 254 times in all competitions.

Rumours have been swirling that both Inter Milan and Real Madrid want to swoop for his services this summer and tempt City into selling before his contract expires, but the player’s agent has completely dismissed those suggestions.

Although, Hernan Reguera cannot make any promises about what will happen after next summer.

‘Sergio has a contract with Manchester City until 2021,’ Reguera told FCInterNews. ‘There is no possibility that he will go away sooner.

‘We’ll see what happens after that. I haven’t spoken to Inter, and the reason is very simple: Aguero is happy with the Citizens and has no intention of changing club.’

More: Football

Aguero has spoken previously about his desire to return to Argentina and his first club, Independiente, where he plans to finish his career.

‘I always try [to get back to Argentina]. I know what the fans [of Independiente] want, but I have a contract with City, and I try to focus on these two years I’ve got left,’ he told Goal last year.

‘Then I’ll see what I’ll do but of course, the Rojo [Independiente] is my priority.’

He turns 32 next month and will be 33-years-old when his City contract expires. Whether he wants to get one more big deal in European football before returning to South America, or not, is yet to be seen.

City manager Pep Guardiola was asked about the possibility of Aguero extending his stay beyond 2021 in January and said it was down to the forward.

‘It depends on him, it is his decision,’ said Guardiola.

‘This kind of player… there are not many in the incredible history of English football. He helps to make the Premier League better.’

MORE: Man Utd target Jack Grealish ‘certainly’ good enough for ‘any of the big clubs’, says former Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill

MORE: Sergio Aguero says watching Michael Owen made him want to play in Premier League

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Football

What Jurgen Klopp has told Timo Werner as Liverpool move stalls

Published

on

Timo Werner’s heart was set on a summer move to Liverpool (Picture: Getty)

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has told Timo Werner his Liverpool dream has been put at risk by the coronavirus crisis.

The Germany international had been earmarked as a priority transfer target for the runaway Premier League leaders. Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino have powered Liverpool’s relentless pursuit of a first league title in 30 years, but Klopp was keen to add an extra level of competition.

Divock Origi, Adam Lallana and Xherdan Shaqiri are all likely to be deemed surplus to requirements come the summer, while January recruit Takumi Minamino has not yet fully adjusted to the demands of English football.

Werner has enjoyed another reputation enhancing season in the Bundesliga, scoring 24 goals in 28 appearances for Julian Nagelsman’s Champions League quarter finalists.

The 24-year-old is said to have had his heart set on a move to Anfield and is desperate to work under Klopp. Earlier this week it was reported that the Liverpool boss had been in contact with Werner via Zoom.

Timo Werner’s Red Bull Leipzig were held to a frustrating 2-2 draw by Hertha Berlin on Wednesday (Picture: Getty)

The Mirror claims Klopp has been brutally honest with the Germany international and spelled out the financial ramifications of the ongoing global pandemic. As recently as February, Liverpool had been willing to activate the versatile forward’s £50million release clause, but now value him at less than £30million.

Should Werner remain with Red Bull Leipzig for another 12 months, his release clause would drop by around £25m. The likes of Barcelona and Inter Milan have also been credited with an interest, while Premier League duo Manchester United and Chelsea have also been monitoring his situation.

More: Liverpool FC

Leipzig, meanwhile, for their part are refusing to be bullied and will not sell one of their prize assets on the cheap.

Their CEO Oliver Mintzlaff said earlier this week: ‘It won’t get any cheaper. We will not sell a player below value if he is under contract for more than a year.

‘In general, we always ask the question: can we replace a player if we sell him for less than his market value?’

MORE: Jurgen Klopp holds ‘virtual meeting’ with Liverpool transfer target Timo Werner

MORE: Liverpool ‘need’ top attacking player but unlikely to sign £50m target Timo Werner, says Jamie Carragher

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Continue Reading

Football

Man Utd news: Real Madrid offer up four players in Paul Pogba swap deal

Published

on

Paul Pogba’s future has been a bone of contention for months (Picture: AFP/Getty Images)

Real Madrid are trying to tempt Manchester United into letting Paul Pogba go this summer by making a quartet of players available as part of a swap deal.

The La Liga side have been pursuing Pogba since last summer and will reignite their interest in the next transfer window, although it is unclear when that will open due to the coronavirus crisis.

The global health pandemic has caused economic uncertainty throughout football, so in a bid to avoid offering huge amounts of money for the Frenchman, Real are willing to put four players forward as part of the deal, reports the Sun.

Martin Odegaard is the most appealing of the four names, with Lucas Vazquez, James Rodriguez and Brahim Diaz all also reportedly on offer.

Martin Odegaard has enjoyed an impressive season on loan at Real Sociedad (Picture: Getty Images)

United are unlikely to be tempted by the offer, with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer now planning to reintegrate Pogba into the first team after missing much of the season through injury.

The World Cup winner has not started a game since September, but he is reportedly fit again after his ongoing ankle problem and will be available when the Premier League starts again – due to be in June.

Solskjaer is excited by the prospect of lining Pogba up in midfield with January signing Bruno Fernandes, a partnership which has United fans drooling at the prospect of.

More: Football

The pair have trained together this week and after Fernandes’ blistering start to life in the Premier League, they have the potential to form a dynamic midfield trio alongside either Fred, Scot McTominay or Nemanja Matic.

Pogba has just one year left on his current contract at Manchester United but there is an option for the club to extend it by a further year, which is looking increasingly likely.

With clubs around the world strapped for cash, and Real Madrid’s swap deal not particularly appealing, Pogba is looking more likely to stay than go.

MORE: Manchester United join Real Madrid in race to sign Rennes star Eduardo Camavinga

MORE: Odion Ighalo personally intervenes during Manchester United loan talks

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Continue Reading

Football

Odion Ighalo deserves long-term Man Utd deal, says Nigeria teammate Moses Simon

Published

on

Ighalo has scored four goals since moving to Old Trafford in January (Picture: Getty Images)

Odion Ighalo has proved himself and deserves to be tied down to a permanent contract at Manchester United, according to his Nigeria teammate Moses Simon.

The 30-year-old is set to return to parent club Shanghai Shenhua with his loan deal at Old Trafford due to expire at the end of the week.

After scoring four goals in eight games for United since joining in January, the club are yet to secure an extension to keep the striker until the end of the Premier League season.

The Red Devils are reportedly unsure if they want to pay £20 million to secure the forward on a long-term contract, but his fellow Nigeria international Simon believes he has proven his worth.

‘If the Manchester United deal can be sealed permanently, not just a loan deal, I think it will be good for his football, his family and for Nigerian football,’ Simon told Tribal Football.

‘Odion Ighalo has proved to be a good striker in Manchester United in the few games he played.

‘It will be good for Nigeria football to see Ighalo succeed at Old Trafford. He has shown good qualities of succeeding already.’

Ighalo has earned 35 caps for Nigeria (Picture: Getty Images)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admitted earlier this week that United are ‘in dialogue’ with the Chinese Super League club to extend Ighalo’s deal.

‘The loan deal went until the end of May now, so obviously, he’s supposed to be going back,’ Solskjaer told MUTV.

More: Manchester United FC

‘We’re in dialogue. They’ve been great towards us, his club, and allowed him to play for his dream club.

‘It’s been a dream for him and hopefully he can finish off what he started, hopefully with a trophy for us.

‘At the moment, nothing has been agreed. Their league is going to get started soon so we’re just waiting to see.’

MORE: Liverpool set to hijack Manchester United’s move for Sporting Lisbon’s 17-year-old left-back Nuno Mendes

MORE: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides update on Manchester United transfer plans

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Continue Reading

Trending