Sony has invested $250 Million in Epic Games to get a minority interest. Epic Games is the creator of Fortnite, the world’s largest battle royale title acquiring more than 350 Million accounts.
On Friday Sony revealed this strategic investment and the motive behind this investment is to broaden the collaboration of both giants to generate a unique experience for both users and creators.
Kenichiro Yoshida, CEO Sony said in a statement, “Epic`s powerful technology in areas such as graphics places them at the forefront of game engine development with Unreal Engine and other innovations. There`s no better example of this than the revolutionary entertainment experience”.
Both companies are working together as E[ic Games has launched its Unreal Engine 5 graphics on a PlayStation 5. Also, Sony is going to launch its next-gen gaming console somewhere at the end of this year and this move will strengthen both company’s collaboration.
With this investment, Sony got the 1.4% share in Epic’s games, and before Sony’s investment Epic Games had raised a total of $1.58 billion in three previous funding rounds, including investment from Chinese tech major Tencent back in 2012 as per Venturebeat.
Epic Games also declared that Fortnite will be available on other platforms along with Play Station devices.
Fortnite provides music concerts, movies, and many other events within the game that attracts everyone’s attention and its recent virtual Travis Scott concert stole the attention of over 27 Million people. With this investment, Sony’s plan is to create a dedicated team that can utilize Fortnite to create immersive media.
Epic has planned to raise $750 million from different investors at a valuation of about $17 billion and this deal is separate from the plan of Fortnite makers.
Let’s wait and watch will Epic Games will provide any extra advantage to Sony as Epic’s upcoming Unreal Engine 5 will be compatible with both PS5 and Xbox Series X.
- ByteDance in Early Talks to List Chinese Short Video App Douyin in Hong Kong: Sources
- Chrome OS finally has a dark mode, and you can try it right now
- WhatsApp to get multi-device support, new storage feature soon
- BEST VPNs FOR STREAMING IN 2020
- Amazon And Flipkart Are back with Season 2 of Sales? Know all details here !!
- Epic Games is backlashing Apple again via a court filing.
- WhatsApp latest feature against fake notifications, update app instantly!!
- 7 Expenses Not to Charge On Your Business Credit Card