Facebook-owned messaging app Whatsapp is ready to roll out a UPI-based payment system in India. Whatsapp started testing the feature with over I Million users in 2018.
Now Whatsapp Pay is available in India. After two years of wait finally, Whatsapp got approval from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), and as a result, NPCI granted a NOD to Whatsapp to roll out UPI based payment system.
Describing his views regarding launching Whatsapp Pay in India, Facebook CEO and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg said,
“We’ve been working on this with the National Payments Corporation of India, who oversee everything to make sure it’s secure and reliable. And we’ve built it using India’s Unified Payments Interface, which makes it easy for anyone to instantly accept payments across different apps — and for companies to provide people with great services.
“With UPI, India has created something truly special and is opening up a world of opportunities for micro and small businesses that are the backbone of the Indian economy. India is the first country to do anything like this. I’m glad we were able to support this effort and work together to help achieve a more digital India. I want to thank all our partners who’ve made this possible” he added.
Whatsapp has made a partnership with five banks including ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, the State Bank of India, and Jio Payments Bank to apply UPI payments in India. In order to send and receive payments via Whatsapp Pay, you must have a bank account and debit card as well.
How to set up Whatsapp Pay on your smartphone?
NPCI has granted only 2 crores, Indian users, to get the Whatsapp Pay feature, and use it in the initial phase of the rollout. After it, rest of Whatsapp users will be able to use Whatsapp Pay to send and receive payments. So first check out whether you are eligible to use Whatsapp Pay now or not. Here is how to set up Whatsapp Pay on your phone:
- Your initial move in order to get the payment feature is to move to Play store and update the Whatsapp app.
- Now on your Android phone, open up the WhatsApp chat window, and after it tap on three vertical dots located at the top right corner.
- In the list, you will get the payment option, tap on it.
- After opening up the payment window tap on the add new payments method.
- Tap on accept and continue to proceed further
- When you click on accept you will be redirected to a new window having the list of banks partnered with Whatsapp Pay.
- Now choose your bank from the list and verify your bank account number.
- Then tap on allow to let Whatsapp verify your account and convey texts to authenticate.
- After entering the number, Whatsapp will verify with your bank and set up the payment.
- Finally hit done and you are ready to use Whatsapp Pay.
How to send money via Whatsapp Pay?
If you want to send money using Whatsapp Pay then you need to follow these steps:
- Select the contact to which you want to send money.
- Now in the chat window click on the clip symbol.
- Now select the Rupee icon.
- Finally, enter the amount you want to convey and possibly a note.
- For processing, the transaction enters your PIN.
- A confirmation message will occur in your chat window.
- And you have done.
So folks, get set ready to use this whole new feature of Whatsapp. Stay tuned for more latest happenings in the tech era.