- Default Browser Change in Windows 11 Now Takes More Effort.
- Changing Windows 11’s Default Browser Is Hilariously Complicated.
- Unlike Windows 10, Windows 11 requires setting the default browser per file type.
Windows 11 will make it difficult for users to switch default browsers as Microsoft has reportedly tweaked the way you can change defaults in the operating system. This will make it harder for users to change their default browser to competitor products like Google’s Chrome and Mozilla’s Firefox, from Microsoft Edge. In Windows 11, if you don’t toggle the “Always use this app” box when opening links for the first time, Microsoft will simply default everything to the Edge browser. And changing that is no simple task.
In Windows 10, if a user wanted to change their default browser to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, it was only a matter of selecting the default in the beginning and forgetting about it. When it comes to Windows 11, selecting and forgetting about it is far more complicated. Microsoft is justifying the change by saying that it will allow Windows 11 users to have more control over default apps.
Selena Deckelmann, senior vice president of Firefox said:
“We have been increasingly worried about the trend on Windows … Since Windows 10, users have had to take additional and unnecessary steps to set and retain their default browser settings. These barriers are confusing at best and seem designed to undermine a user’s choice for a non-Microsoft browser.”
Microsoft spokesperson said:
“With Windows 11, we are implementing customer feedback to customize and control defaults at a more granular level, eliminating app categories and elevating all apps to the forefront of the defaults experience.”
How to change the default web browser on Windows 11?
To set a new default web browser on Windows 11, use these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Apps.
- Click the Default apps page on the right side.
- Select the browser you want to use as the new default on Windows 11. For example, Google Chrome.
- Click on .htm option.
- Select the Switch anyway option.
- Click the OK button.
- Once you complete the steps, your browser of choice will be the new system default on Windows 11.
Thanks for Reading!!